- Replace mental and verbal complaints with contentment statements
- Get still for 5 minutes each day to focus on God’s character
- Read a contentment devotional emailed daily for 7 days
Join the 7 day Contentment Project
Complaining hits close to home for all of us. In the biblical book of Numbers, we find that God provided guidance, leadership, food, and water for His people in the wilderness, but they weren’t satisfied. They wanted better leaders and food with more flavor; and they weren’t content with what God gave them. As we navigate a culture obsessed with “more,” it can be difficult to practice contentment. The apostle Paul said this, “…for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little” (Philippians 4:10b-11).
Paul learned to be content. So can we! If you would like to join me for 7 days of intentional contentment, here is what I am asking you to do:
1. Wear a “content” bracelet (you can use a bracelet that you already own or order one at www.mudlove.com/contentment and half the proceeds will go to support orphans in third world countries through VisionTrust https://www.visiontrust.org/). Every time you complain (whether in your thoughts or words), move the bracelet to the other wrist. When you do this, identify one thing in your life that you are content with. (For example, if you complain that your washing machine broke, you can mentally acknowledge that you are content that God has provided clothing for your family.)
2. Spend about 5 minutes daily (outside if possible) with no one else around and listen to one worship song or hymn and focus just on God’s character. You could write or speak praise to God or rehearse His attributes. Be still – no checking email, answering texts, or thinking about other things. (You can find songs on youtube. Here are my favorites right now if you are looking for a guide to 7 great songs but you can choose any song that focuses on God’s character: 1. “Good Good Father” by Chris Tomlin 2. “Say the Word” by Hillsong 3. “Lord, I Need You” by Matt Maher 4. “Brokenness Aside” by All Sons and Daughters 5.”Oh Come to the Altar” by Elevation Worship 6. “Fierce” by Jesus Culture 7. “What a Beautiful Name” by Hillsong)
3. Read the daily email devotional with a short passage of Scripture.
Sign up for the project to receive the 7 daily emails on September 4-10th by putting in your email address and hitting “enter” – then click the link in the confirmation email you will receive. You will not be put on any other lists – you will only receive the 7 devotionals for the Contentment Project.
You can also join the Facebook Group – Contentment Project – to interact with the hundreds of other women who are joining you on the journey. Share stories, pictures of bracelets, encouragement and ask for prayer in this group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1395009780618006/
Click here to sign up – http://eepurl.com/cVSi5v
Women’s Ministry Leaders – If you send this information to the ladies in your church or Bible study and at least 10 sign up, I’ll send you a free content bracelet! Just email firstname.lastname@example.org letting me know you did it and include your name and mailing address!
Watch a short video clip from the Numbers Bible study explaining the Contentment Project –